How to correct tax entry on posted transaction?

Use this area for questions that are specifically related to Canada (e.g PST handling, Canadian cheque standards)
Forum rules
This forum is not the official Cognito Software support channel for MoneyWorks. If you need help from Cognito, then please contact us (or your local regional support representative) directly using the contact information on the Support page of the web site.

Please try the search facility before posting a new topic to see if your topic has already been covered.

If you do post a new topic, it's a good idea to choose a Topic Subject that it a bit more informative than "Help!" or "A problem". If your topic is actually recognisable by people scanning the forum, you'll have a much better chance of getting a response. Thanks and have fun.
Post Reply
Posts: 5
Joined: 16 Mar 2011 07:23

How to correct tax entry on posted transaction?

Post by Scoop » 17 Dec 2013 12:40

Running my HST Report and it says I have two Anomalous (incorrect HST amount for taxcode). I can now see I made an error on two entries. They were both Write Offs. One was a non-taxable item but was entered TC 'H' - oops, the other was entered TC 'H' but contained one invoiced item that was non-taxable and I should have broken it down. So now the tax amounts are off. Question is - How do I fix these? MW won't let me cancel a write off transaction and I can't adjust a posted transaction. Help :-)

Posts: 191
Joined: 21 Feb 2008 18:59
Product: Datacentre
Region: New Zealand
Location: Auckland

Re: How to correct tax entry on posted transaction?

Post by charleshorse » 20 Dec 2013 12:23

You can Duplicate and Reverse a write-off, so maybe that is the way to go.

Highlight the write-off in the invoice list and click the Duplicate button, then click the Reverse button in the transaction window, which changes all the signs. When you post this it will sort of counter-act the bad write-off. Then I guess that you would duplicate the write-off again and change it to make it correct and post it.

But that will leave you with two (new) unpaid invoices, so I think you would use the contra command to offset them. The amounts will presumably be the same, but one will be negative.

Post Reply