Converting a Quote into an Invoice

Discussion about using the MoneyWorks Job costing system.
Forum rules
This forum is not the official Cognito Software support channel for MoneyWorks. If you need help from Cognito, then please contact us (or your local regional support representative) directly using the contact information on the Support page of the web site.

Please try the search facility before posting a new topic to see if your topic has already been covered.

If you do post a new topic, it's a good idea to choose a Topic Subject that it a bit more informative than "Help!" or "A problem". If your topic is actually recognisable by people scanning the forum, you'll have a much better chance of getting a response. Thanks and have fun.
facelift

Converting a Quote into an Invoice

Post by facelift » 21 Jan 2008 10:18

I'm very new to this program and have had my share of distress with the learning curve. I figured out how to set up a new customer and then to create a quote. From there I keep having problems. The quote gets accepted so I turn it into a job but when I check the current jobs I keep getting 2 or 3 jobs listed for the same persons so I end up deleted all but one and this is putting my job numbering all out of whack. They jump from job 2 to job 5 to job 10 to job 12. In the grand scheme of things this probably isn;t that big a deal, but it looks messy and an auditor might wonder what happened to all those missing jobs.
Next I want to create an invoice based on the quote. However, unless I re-enter the line items from the quote in the job sheet it won't automatically move these to the invoice, and there is no way to manually enter them in the make invoice window. There has to be a way to avoid all this duplication. What am I doing wrong in this sequence?

rowan
Region: New Zealand

Post by rowan » 21 Jan 2008 11:38

Sounds like you don't want jobs at all (And if you did, the way to not get duplicate jobs is to not convert the quote to a job multiple times.)

Convert the Quote to a Sales Order (radio buttons at top right) then process the Sales Order to either a cash sale or an invoice sale.

facelift

Post by facelift » 21 Jan 2008 12:04

rowan wrote:Sounds like you don't want jobs at all (And if you did, the way to not get duplicate jobs is to not convert the quote to a job multiple times.)

Convert the Quote to a Sales Order (radio buttons at top right) then process the Sales Order to either a cash sale or an invoice sale.

Rowan, thanks for answering. Interesting. I wouldn't have even thought of this since within the program window it shows arrows pointing from quote to make job etc. Keep in mind, these quotes are for service items though frequently their are line items for supplies such as hardwood flooring. I will try converting the quote to a sales order and see how it goes. Still don't understand why the program seems so obviously directing me to turn the quote into a job. what is the create job function for? If I turn the quote into a sales order, will it automatically create a job for that client, indicating they have accepted my quote?

facelift

Post by facelift » 21 Jan 2008 12:28

Hi Rowan,
Another comment. I was reading the help files and it sounds more like a sales order is for products I will be selling and shipping. My business is mostly to sell a service since I work with wooden floor finishing. At times I buy and sell to customers who accept my quote, but I'm not a retailer.
the help files say this under When your Quote is accepted:

If your quote is accepted, you can turn the quote into a sales order or into a job, depending on what is necessary to fulfil the quote.

It would seem to me that for most of what I do, providing a service, I should be choosing "job" and not "sales order". Getting to that point and then setting up an invoice and having the data from the specific quote to enter automatically into an invoice, to this point isn't happening.

rowan

Post by rowan » 21 Jan 2008 14:43

You would create a job only if you want to track job costs and then be able to compare the actual costs to the budget implied by the quote. This involves entering timesheets etc. In the first post you implied that you did not want to do this.

If you look under Sales & Income you will see Quote -> Sales Order -> Invoice

facelift

Post by facelift » 21 Jan 2008 17:41

rowan wrote:You would create a job only if you want to track job costs and then be able to compare the actual costs to the budget implied by the quote. This involves entering timesheets etc. In the first post you implied that you did not want to do this.

If you look under Sales & Income you will see Quote -> Sales Order -> Invoice

Ok Rowan, I am going to try your direction for the next one. I don't see how I implied anything in my first post, other than what I clearly stated: I could not create an invoice and have the items in the quote flow from the quote onto the invoice. I wasn't even thinking about comparing the cost of the job against the budget allowed. I would have thought that all was transparent.
I think part of the problem is, the help files within the application are not written very well. My wife is as bright as they get and she was quite confused by it all. Her dad was a mathematics teacher.
I will try what you suggest and we will see what happens. Still, the fact remains, given your current comments, if I wanted to track expenses against the budget allowed in the quotes, these items will not automatically move from the quote to the invoice.
Thanks for your attention to this. It is helpful.

Wal

Post by Wal » 23 Jan 2008 21:38

Hi - I started off as a user and am now also an independent consultant so have experience of the help file and manuals from both sides of the fence. I reckon they are better than most (and the odd bit of humour helps what is otherwise dry reading)

Having said that, yes, there is sometimes difficulty in people understanding the steps in moving from Quote to Sales Order to Invoice and where the Job structure fits in to this.

As I see it, there are really two streams:
Quoted work: You make a quote, the customer accepts it so you turn it into a Sales Order and then process the Sales Order to produce Invoice(s) as the goods are shipped.
If you want to measure your costs against your quote, then set up a job (as well as creating a Sales Order) and record any expenses as Job sheet Items. You will then get job reports that show income and expenses - plus budgets if you created the job from the quote)

Do and Charge: (you may make an estimate first but invoicing is going to be based on things you buy and time you spend etc). Set up a job and record your purchases and time against the job. Then use the "Bill Job" process to create invoice(s).
If you use the Quote form for your estimate you can create the job from the quote and that creates job budget lines from the quote - very useful if your estimates are based on items that have cost details

I think we might need a flow chart to explain these concepts.

facelift

Post by facelift » 15 Mar 2008 17:33

I think we need more than a flow chart Wal. This program has my company books in chaos at this early point in the year. I am so disappointed. I spent hundreds on it and a couple of hundred more to network it. It is a mess. In my thinking I go out and look at a job. I submit an estimate or quote. When it is accepted and I do the work I create an invoice. I get paid and depost the money. In Quickbooks this is all very easy. With Money Works it is a nightmare. It does not move easily from one logical step to the next unless one is an accountant! I have been told I should use the sales order instead. Why would I do that? It clearly appears to be intended for selling products, not services. I had an issue about doing multiple jobs for the same builder. There seemed no obvious way to indicate the job site ont e quote. I got an answer to that in the "deliver to" box on the quote. Unfortunately, in the printed quotes and invoices that box does not show up. Neither do the amounts for items charged. So now I also have to become a forms designer!! I have about 5 customers I've done work for this year and I see payments for them and another entry marked CR. They were credited back the money? How the hell did that happen and how do I fix it? That is what happens in a program not intended for a tradesman. I can't figure out logically how to apply a payment for a job. There is no logical progression to this program and it is not user friendly. In it's present state, it does not have a hope of competing with Quick books. My wife comes from a mathematical background and she feels it is not user friendly. I'm seriously considering dumping the whole thing as a loss and installing Quickbooks on Parallels. If I don't get help soon, that is what I will do. I can't let this mess continue past March. It is a bloody mess.

charleshorse
Product: Datacentre

Jobs

Post by charleshorse » 16 Mar 2008 18:39

In my thinking I go out and look at a job. I submit an estimate or quote. When it is accepted and I do the work I create an invoice. I get paid and depost the money.

Which is exactly what you do in MoneyWorks. Forget the job system -- it does not seem to apply to you. Create a Quote, when the Quote is accepted, turn it into a Sales Order, which is what it is. When you are ready to invoice, process the Sales Order into an Invoice. It is very simple.

It clearly appears to be intended for selling products, not services

Quotes are based on products, resources or time -- you just need to make up the codes you want to use for these. So if you charge yourself out at $X per hour, make a time product called "TIME", and the sell price is $X per hour. Then on your quote if you think the job will take 5 hours, you enter 5 units of TIME, and MoneyWorks works out how much that will be (you can override that if you want).

I have about 5 customers I've done work for this year and I see payments for them and another entry marked CR. They were credited back the money?

I think you are confusing the Transaction Type -- CR is Cash Receipt, versus CP which is Cash Payment (and QU is Quote and so forth).

My wife comes from a mathematical background and she feels it is not user friendly.

There is nothing mathematical about accounting -- its all about debits and credits, mores the pity. Debits are often good, but not always.

I think you are making things harder than they need to be -- just forget all about the job system. Start with a Quote, when accepted turn into Sales Order, when job completed turn into Invoice, when invoice paid mark off as paid and bank money.

Kim NZ

Turning Quotes into Invoices

Post by Kim NZ » 24 May 2010 13:56

I wonder if it's possible to turn a quote into an invoice without going through theSales Order step? This doesn't seem logical to me in a service industry where we are quoting for internal time and don't require and sales order but would require the Quote to be turned into an invoice to bill the client.
Thanks

Katrine

Quote to Invoice

Post by Katrine » 25 May 2010 11:40

It requires one click with your mouse to change a quote to a sales order then grind it to an invoice. That really isn't that arduous.

This would have to be the easiest software to use but it is not going to teach you how to be an accountant.

Colleen - aboutBusiness

Re: Turning Quotes into Invoices

Post by Colleen - aboutBusiness » 28 May 2010 01:43

Kim NZ wrote:I wonder if it's possible to turn a quote into an invoice without going through theSales Order step? This doesn't seem logical to me in a service industry where we are quoting for internal time and don't require and sales order but would require the Quote to be turned into an invoice to bill the client.

Kim, I'm an accounting software consultant and the reason I am interested in MoneyWorks for my clients is because it has many fabulous features that I just don't see in similar products. I'm only new to the product, so can only make a guess at the logic for the quote, sales order, invoice step but my guess is that by turning a quote into a sales order before invoicing, is to show that the work has commenced and to take it out of the quotes queue. I see it as more an internal process, than an accounting requirement. Agreed, it is an extra step for you to take if you invoice on quote acceptance but from what I've seen of the product so far, the benefits far outweigh that one extra click. If you're able to wait and convert several sales orders at once, you'd only have to make one click for the whole batch.

Hiro

Post by Hiro » 28 May 2010 14:37

I have been using MYOB for mac for years now.
Looking for a new system and am using the trial moneyworks system as well as xero.
It looks much simpler (user friendly) than MYOB for sure...

I also sell services as a cleaner.

Facelift-Our services are products, so i would say create an inventory of all your various services as items. Once they're in its a breeze to use.
In most systems I have used, an order proceeds after a quote prior to invoice. Except in basic accounting/bookkeeping systems like Xero.

In MYOB u CAN quote then invoice. But i use orders after quoting my services, because i quote more than i order through my system because often the job might differ in price once completed. I send orders through to remove the quote out, into an approved quote status, prior to receiving my purchase order for invoicing.
In my system, all quotes are non accepted jobs, and all (sales) orders are approved quotes (jobs completed) pending purchase orders for final stage-invoice.
i can easily go into my orders section and see which jobs are still yet to be invoiced.
But in quotes section i can never know this, unless i check through my diary and cross reference which is time consuming...
So sales ordering does work for service industries.

Colleen - aboutBusiness

Post by Colleen - aboutBusiness » 28 May 2010 17:48

Hiro wrote:Looking for a new system and am using the trial moneyworks system as well as xero.

Keep us posted on your decision and the deciding factor.
Colleen King

Richard

Quotes and Sales Orders in MoneyWorks

Post by Richard » 29 May 2010 00:40

Hiro, to help you decide, one of the neat things about using quotes and then changing to sales order is that you can sync the document numbers so that the same number goes all the way through to the client(debtor invoice), the advantage is that you may require a deposit on the quote before proceeding and the client can make a payment on that quote number. Also when you turn your quote into a sales order(same #) you can use the smart feature in MW to create any purchase orders on your suppliers without having to manually create purchase orders (proviso here is that you have your products setup correctly) Inventory is really neat in MW and very accurate as it allows you to sell negative stock with full audit tracking.
Just a few of the many advantages over the other 4 letter app, Plus you own your data, you never own your data when using online accounting, try asking what you get when you decide to leave, masses of PDF pages!!!