PST & GST

Use this area for questions that are specifically related to Canada (e.g PST handling, Canadian cheque standards)
Forum rules
This forum is not the official Cognito Software support channel for MoneyWorks. If you need help from Cognito, then please contact us (or your local regional support representative) directly using the contact information on the Support page of the web site.

Please try the search facility before posting a new topic to see if your topic has already been covered.

If you do post a new topic, it's a good idea to choose a Topic Subject that it a bit more informative than "Help!" or "A problem". If your topic is actually recognisable by people scanning the forum, you'll have a much better chance of getting a response. Thanks and have fun.
jeanne

PST & GST

Post by jeanne » 30 Jun 2009 16:45

My company is in Alberta but many of my purchases are from BC. BC has a sales tax, Alberta doesn't. A tax rate of 5% GST works on purchases in AB but not for BC purchases because the program calculates GST on the total amount without taking into consideration the BC 7% sales tax. Any ideas on how to handle this? Thanks

Straightline

Re: PST & GST

Post by Straightline » 06 Jul 2009 02:18

jeanne wrote:My company is in Alberta but many of my purchases are from BC. BC has a sales tax, Alberta doesn't. A tax rate of 5% GST works on purchases in AB but not for BC purchases because the program calculates GST on the total amount without taking into consideration the BC 7% sales tax. Any ideas on how to handle this? Thanks

Jeanne

You probably have this figured out by now but you should do it the same way as we do in BC and create a composite tax.

See this info for help: http://cognito.co.nz/support/MW52/

Dave

jeanne

Post by jeanne » 06 Jul 2009 08:23

Straightline wrote:
jeanne wrote:My company is in Alberta but many of my purchases are from BC. BC has a sales tax, Alberta doesn't. A tax rate of 5% GST works on purchases in AB but not for BC purchases because the program calculates GST on the total amount without taking into consideration the BC 7% sales tax. Any ideas on how to handle this? Thanks

Jeanne

You probably have this figured out by now but you should do it the same way as we do in BC and create a composite tax.

See this info for help: http://cognito.co.nz/support/MW52/

Dave

Thank you Dave. I did figure it out - perhaps the hard way - by going back and starting the whole process over - right from setup. I now realize how important the information for the setup is......Jeanne

shayanjameel08

Post by shayanjameel08 » 25 Oct 2013 22:58

Following are the GST/HST/PST rates for Canada:-
ALBERTA:
GST/HST rate %=5
PST %=not applicable
Combined rate %=5

BRITISH COLOMBIA:
GST/HST rate %=5
PST rate %=7
Combined rate % =12

MANITOBA:
GST/HST rate %=5
PST rate % =7
Combined rate % =12

NEW BRUNSWICK:
GST/HST rate %=13
PST rate % =not applicable
Combined rate % =13

NEWFOUNDLAND & LABRADOR:
GST/HST rate %=13
Combined rate % =13

NORTHWEST TERRITORIES:
GST/HST rate %=5
Combined rate % =5

NOVA SCOTIA:
GST/HST rate %=15
Combined rate % =15

NUNAVUT:
GST/HST rate %=5
Combined rate % =5

ONTARIO:
GST/HST rate %=5
PST rate % =8
Combined rate % =13

PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND:
GST/HST rate %=5
PST rate % =10*
Combined rate % =15.5*

QUEBEC:
GST/HST rate %=5
PST rate % =7.5* (increase to 8.5% and 9.5% on 01/01/11 and 01/01/12)
Combined rate % =12.875*

SASKATCHEWAN:
GST/HST rate %=5
PST rate % =5
Combined rate % =10

YUKON:
GST/HST rate %=5
Combined rate % =5