POSTED

For the discussion of issues affecting the day to day running of all MoneyWorks products.
Forum rules
This forum is not the official Cognito Software support channel for MoneyWorks. If you need help from Cognito, then please contact us (or your local regional support representative) directly using the contact information on the Support page of the web site.

Please try the search facility before posting a new topic to see if your topic has already been covered.

If you do post a new topic, it's a good idea to choose a Topic Subject that it a bit more informative than "Help!" or "A problem". If your topic is actually recognisable by people scanning the forum, you'll have a much better chance of getting a response. Thanks and have fun.
Meps
Product: Express
Region: Australia

POSTED

Post by Meps » 27 Jul 2013 18:53

I have moved from MYOB to MW recently. I really like MW so much better except for 1 thing. Posting. I am not an accounting pro or a book keeper. I just run a small business and try and do everything myself. If I made a error in MYOB I could cancel the transaction and redo it. In MW I can cancel but it doesn't delete it. I stays there with the original entry and then adds a neg entry. For me this is so messy. I still don't understand why it needs to work this way. I've read about an audit trail but it's usually just an entry error that, in my opinion, can be fixed without everything looking messy and confusing.

Simon
Region: New Zealand

Re: POSTED

Post by Simon » 30 Jul 2013 15:19

It can look meessy, but there are several good reasons to not be able to delete transactions.

For example... say you have reconciled the bank account and then a couple of months later you decide that a transaction has been miscoded so you delete. But then you forget to re-enter it or re-enter it for a different amount. Now you bank account no longer reconciles and there is no way of working why apart from redoing the reconcilation from scratch.

Another scenario similar to above but with GST/VAT. If you could delete transactions after a GSt return had been filed then the return filed would nolonger match your accounting system. Another nightmare for your accountant and an invitation for the tax dept to pull apart your accounts should you ever be audited...

Both of the above is a just a couple of reasons why MW is soo much better than MYOB...

Meps
Product: Express

Post by Meps » 31 Jul 2013 17:41

But what if the transactions were 'posted' after a reconciliation was done? That's usually the point where I notice that something has been entered wrong. For me thats where I consider them locked in. Up to that point it would be great to have the flexibility to delete transactions if needed.

godeschalk
Product: Gold

Post by godeschalk » 01 Aug 2013 21:25

I've been using MW Gold for just over a month now and I often find myself cancelling and re-creating transactions immediately after posting because a date was wrong or the wrong bank account drop-down was used. I know you're thinking, "Well, check everything before you post!" but I'm dyslexic, I'm running a small business and I'm in an awful hurry, so it will always be that way.

Sam

Post by Sam » 01 Aug 2013 22:39

There is rollback ( under File) but you need to be careful- especially if you are multi user.

Or don't post each time - wait till you do the bank rec ( do the bank rec. with 'show unposted' ticked).

godeschalk

Post by godeschalk » 29 Aug 2013 21:58

Thanks Sam,
I will give the latter a go. The former only creates additional work. My biggest errors are: wrong cheque number, wrong date, wrong bank account. I always get the bits you can change right and I must admit my admiration of the program has diminished somewhat since I started using it July 1.

Sam

Post by Sam » 30 Aug 2013 10:35

wrong cheque number, wrong date, wrong bank account

Then you definitely shouldn't post them! You could try importing your bank statement and allocating the payments to invoices there but then you don't know, at any given time, what you have paid or received until it is in the bank- I would try leaving them unposted.

Have to say the more I use this product the more I like it.