Zero Balances on Statements

For the discussion of issues affecting the day to day running of all MoneyWorks products.
Forum rules
This forum is not the official Cognito Software support channel for MoneyWorks. If you need help from Cognito, then please contact us (or your local regional support representative) directly using the contact information on the Support page of the web site.

Please try the search facility before posting a new topic to see if your topic has already been covered.

If you do post a new topic, it's a good idea to choose a Topic Subject that it a bit more informative than "Help!" or "A problem". If your topic is actually recognisable by people scanning the forum, you'll have a much better chance of getting a response. Thanks and have fun.
mikeguil

Zero Balances on Statements

Post by mikeguil » 10 Dec 2010 03:45

Even when I click on the Do Not Print Zero Balances option, I still get all the invoices with zero balances printed on statements.

Any idea why?

donnamc
Region: New Zealand

Post by donnamc » 13 Dec 2010 09:25

It may be that you have credits sitting waiting to be cotra's against invoices? This would mean the overall balance is zero but there are open transactions that make it up.

Donna

mikeguil

Post by mikeguil » 13 Dec 2010 09:43

nope.. no credits I'm afraid.

If I click on the individual transaction and check off the "Don't show on statement" - it doesn't show. But it's a pain to do that for every transaction! That's why I don't understand it not working.

:(

David Jenkins
Product: Gold

Post by David Jenkins » 28 Dec 2010 14:22

I think that in this context "Zero balance" refers to the Debtors balance, not the invoice total.

mikeguil

Post by mikeguil » 30 Dec 2010 15:34

hmmm... that could be. I'll do some more digging.

jiranz1
Product: Datacentre

Post by jiranz1 » 01 Jan 2011 08:30

I have a similiar issue but with debtors. I cancelled the remaining balance of a debtor. They now show up on all debtor reports with a zero balance. Does anyone know how to remove them from the reports all together?

David Jenkins
Product: Gold

Post by David Jenkins » 01 Jan 2011 14:38

I am assuming there was only one invoice with an outstanding amount and that you have posted the credit note you created to cancel the balance.

If you switch to the Receivables tab (of the Transactions list when Viewing by Status) you will probably see:
- an invoice with the 'remaining balance' in the Outstanding column, and
- a Credit Note with a negative 'remaining balance' in the Outstanding column

Highlight both these transactions and Choose Contra from the Adjustments options (either under the Command menu or using the righthand icon on the toolbar.

If there was more than one invoice you will have to highlight the creditnote and each of the invoices, one at a time.

Hope this helps

jiranz1
Product: Datacentre

Post by jiranz1 » 10 Jan 2011 10:14

I've had to go back to the transaction. here is what happened:
A debtor paid twice the invoice amount so we entered in the correct amount against the invoice then a second entry against the same invoice number reflecting the overpayment. This created a credit to the customer. Later, we then cancelled the overpayment when the funds were returned, thus creating the zero balance.

I think what we did was credited the first entry not the second. The system didn't like the original payment against the invoice being reversed. I've fixed the issue by cancelling the second payment also, and creating a third payment. The zero balance has now gone away and I've got 5 instances of cash transactions for the one invoice!

Thanks for pointing me into the right direction.

Tabitha

Post by Tabitha » 11 Jan 2011 07:34

When someone pays you twice, why don't you record the second payment as a overpayment? That is much easier than having to remember to contra credit notes etc. You need to be using V5 for overpayments and it has to be in the base currency.