Need a "how to" forum for dummies

For comments and discussion regarding this MoneyWorks Community board
Forest

Need a "how to" forum for dummies

Post by Forest » 07 Nov 2004 14:51

Moneyworks will be my accountant killer if I ever really work it out. I really just want to be able to use Moneyworks as it comes out of the box. No scripting, no forms design, just sorting out my dollars from my cents. To do this I need help with a lot of matter that are probably fairly basic and obvious to people with a bookkeeping background.

For example - how can you fix errors when you have already posted a transaction. Can I have a flow chart of moneyworks so I know where my money is flowing. Why wont that damn receipt form let me pay money against a particular invoice. Why would I want to import my bank statement? (so that you can reconcile an imported statement with the official paper statement - I think not). What do I do with deposits on jobs? Why doesn't the cash flow report show unpaid debtors invoices as this is what I need to see whether I am gunna get enough money to pay my bills.

So bring on the Moneyworks for dummies forum.

rowan
Region: New Zealand

Post by rowan » 07 Nov 2004 17:52

I guess that's the "General MoneyWorks" forum.

You'll find that the manual answers every single one of those questions by the way.

Forest

Post by Forest » 07 Nov 2004 23:49

I am hoping for an object model. A system as complex as Moneyworks (for example a Geographic Information System) would normally provide the users with an object model diagram so they can see how the various components fit together. The navigator provides some objects and connections between objects. The manual provides detailed help. I think that there is also scope for a thin pamplet or pdf that fills the gap inbetween these levels and lists the major features of Moneyworks, how they relate to each other and what they are for. There is a need for an overview of moneyworks/accounting by moneyworks. My copy of Adobe Creative suite had such a thing, so does my copy of Dreamweaver. Also please check www.georeference.org and you will see that they have a 'how to section'. It just seems to me that most of your forums are about extending the functionality of Moneyworks. I not interested in that yet. I just want to figure out how to do things without any customisation at all.

I know that the quesions that I listed as examples would be answered in the manuals. It is just that I have to absorb the detail in the manual and then reverse engineer a general understanding of what I am trying to do before I can move forwards.

Remember that I do my bookwork at the end of the day when I am tired and not very bright. So I would probably be better served by simple diagrams that lots of text. And I do like your program, otherwise I wouldn't be whinging about it.

Regards, Forest :x

Post by Guest » 15 Nov 2004 10:35

Still hoping for an overview of moneyworks. Maybe just a list of all the data entry forms and what they are for and a list of all of the reports and what they are for. The manuals are very good, no disputing that. Still, do I have to read entire manual and then cogitate on it for a couple of months before I can work out how it all fits together. Perhaps that is what I will have to do - so much for the rapid start.

Moneyworks would be a better program if you could boot strap you way to a good money management system. Most of the microsoft programs work this way. You make a start and then just keep learning a few things everyday and three years later you are an expert.

I really need that 3 page overview of what does what. It would help me match up the terminology that I have learned in other places with moneywork's terminology as well as giving me a feel for how the program is organised. Realistically we also live in a world where most bosses don't beleive in training. Staff are forced to bootstrap on the job just like me.

rowan
Region: New Zealand

Post by rowan » 15 Nov 2004 13:27

Anonymous wrote:Still, do I have to read entire manual and then cogitate on it for a couple of months before I can work out how it all fits together.

You shouldn't have to read the whole manual. That's why we have a tutorial (1/10th the size of the full manual but covers 90% of what you really need to know). The tutorial was recently updated—If you don't have it, it is part of the latest demos, which you can download.

Post by Guest » 10 Dec 2010 21:27

how stupid i was before because always read the manual entirly .really waste a lot of time
if i have download the tutorial i can save times and more convenient i think