MWG Gold Access - 1 user but multiple computers?

For the discussion of issues affecting the day to day running of all MoneyWorks products.
Forum rules
This forum is not the official Cognito Software support channel for MoneyWorks. If you need help from Cognito, then please contact us (or your local regional support representative) directly using the contact information on the Support page of the web site.

Please try the search facility before posting a new topic to see if your topic has already been covered.

If you do post a new topic, it's a good idea to choose a Topic Subject that it a bit more informative than "Help!" or "A problem". If your topic is actually recognisable by people scanning the forum, you'll have a much better chance of getting a response. Thanks and have fun.
pondball
Product: Gold
Region: Canada

MWG Gold Access - 1 user but multiple computers?

Post by pondball » 24 Jan 2013 04:22

I have MWG running on my iMac 27"... I would like to be able to:
• access the file wirelessly from a MacBook Pro or MB Air elsewhere in my home
• access the file over the internet from a remote location (2 hours away) using a MacBook Pro or MB Air

- the reason for the former is because the iMac is sometimes in use (for non MWG reasons) when I need it, or it is more convenient to use the MB Pro in a different room
- the reason for the latter is because I would like to be able to take my file to my accountant (who does not use MWG, and yes I know about the Acct's copy being available but he does not use it)... and I don't want to hoist my 27" down to his office... another reason is that when I am away and have an opportunity to catch up with some bookkeeping I would like to do it using a portable Mac not my desktop

- can the file be temporarily be safely transferred to my portable in either of the latter cases and then transferred back to my desktop when i return home (where my business is located?

I am the sole user of the MWG... I would like to be able to access it from different computers though depending on need.

At home I am running:
• iMAc 27" (Snow Leopard but can upgrade to either Lion or MLion)
• Air Port Extreme (soon to be companioned with a 2nd unit on a different floor for full coverage throughout the house)
• 1 Tb external hard drive presently used for Time Machine backups - presently direct to iMac but could be used through the base Airport Extreme and also used for file storage of the WG file if that is the best scenario
• Internet is a woeful HiSpeed through a TurboHub (downloads generally between 3 and 5 Mbps and uploads from .5 to 2.5 Mbps)

I have searched the forum but get only semi-related articles on this as most refer to multiple users... I am the sole user in this case

Any help would be appreciated

pondball

Re: MWG Gold Access - 1 user but multiple computers?

Post by pondball » 25 Jan 2013 15:27

OK.. no solutions yet...

what if i have an old powerbook... i understand even though one location here suggests only Mac osx 10.4 is required another suggests Leopard (10.5) is the minimum... anyone running the latest release of MWG 6.x on osx 10.4? and if so anyone know the best way of transferring everything over to the powerbook so that I can do what I suggested in the first post? Is it even possible?

pondball

Post by pondball » 27 Jan 2013 02:07

this is like talking to myself :(

still hoping to get some answers to my first question though...

• I went ahead and loaded mwg on my powerbook running 10.4.11 and it booted ok
• widgets opens fine, but I obviously did not bring the company file over when i copied the files off my imac (and am now 120 miles away from) as it does not show in the documents available section.

next question... (assuming i can proceed using mwg 6.3 and os x 10.4.11)... How do i go about transferring my current data from my imac over to my powerbook?... i didn't see anything in the manual that shows which files to move (ie files from app support?) and where they they should go

pondball

Post by pondball » 27 Jan 2013 02:18

more ttm...

as far as transferring the files, the manual talks about moving from mac to windows... but I'm just trying to move from mac to mac... on pages 27/28 of the manual it outlines the email to accountant process...
Question 1... Can I simply mail myself a copy of the accountant's file and open it up on my powerbook?
Question 2... Can i proceed to work on my powerbook (ie in a remote location) and once I complete my work there, then remail my self a copy of the accountant's file and open it back up on my iMac?
Question 3... Will my imac and PB then be in synch once I have re-opened the file on my iMac?

grant

Post by grant » 31 Jan 2013 09:48

A MoneyWorks datafile is the same as any other data file, so you can move it from one machine to another. How you do that (email, dropbox, usb stick ... ) is entirely up to you. If you change the file on the other machine then clearly it will be different to the file on the original, so you need to copy it back to the original machine, otherwise you will have two diverging data files. Note that you can only have MoneyWorks installed on two machines if you are the only user, otherwise you will breach your MoneyWorks licence.

pondball

Post by pondball » 31 Jan 2013 13:09

Hi grant

That helps a lot... Much appreciated... I'll test it out before entering too much info, but at this point the prime reason for the two machines (and yes I am the sole user) is to take the older PowerBook in to my accountant to go over my set up and ensure i do my year end properly... Other than that it meg will only be used on the one machine... And never on two at the same time.

sjb

Post by sjb » 04 Feb 2013 02:26

My husband uses MW at his office but I do some work from home for him as well. He backs up the data file to a small USB flash drive, brings it home, I replace the data file on my computer with the one from the flash drive (we have the MW program installed on both computers), I do my work, back up the file to the flash drive again, and he brings it in to work the next day, replaces the file on the office computer with the one from the flash drive, and moves on.

We are hoping to use Dropbox instead (if my hubby doesn't get in to work before his staff, who are on client computers logging in to the main server computer, then they may start working before getting the updated file) but not sure if it will work properly given the client computers signing in. Grant, could you comment please?

pondball

Post by pondball » 04 Feb 2013 05:43

Hi sjb....

Are you transferring using the accountants export file or the actual file that is on your husbands machine?

I exported the accountants file from my iMac (snow leopard) and opened it on my PowerBook (10.4.11) and it seems to transfer fine... I suspect I will have to rename it exactly as my original was named on my iMac though when I move it back... Or use a specific version number for the file (thus ensuring I have something akin to a time machine backup of the file just in case something goes awry)

sjb

Post by sjb » 05 Feb 2013 03:33

We transfer the original file, just copy it to and from the stick (flash drive). Our Macs are using OSX 10.5.8 and 10.6.2 so there are no compatibility issues there.