Admin control access problems PC and Mac-file open same time

Use this to share experiences, problems and solutions with aspects of networking using multi-user Gold or Datacentre
Forum rules
This forum is not the official Cognito Software support channel for MoneyWorks. If you need help from Cognito, then please contact us (or your local regional support representative) directly using the contact information on the Support page of the web site.

Please try the search facility before posting a new topic to see if your topic has already been covered.

If you do post a new topic, it's a good idea to choose a Topic Subject that it a bit more informative than "Help!" or "A problem". If your topic is actually recognisable by people scanning the forum, you'll have a much better chance of getting a response. Thanks and have fun.
cec

Admin control access problems PC and Mac-file open same time

Postby cec » 04 Feb 2008 19:43

Hi
We are new to Moneyworks. I log in as a client to MWorks 5 on Mac; with the PC being the first user. We have allocated me as as a (client) admin user; but I still don't have altering capabilities. We think this is due to the files being open on the PC and me entering into the file on the Mac (thus both open at same time) But if the PC doesn't have the file open then I can't see the file from my Mac (operating over LAN)?!
So how do we make it so we can have admin access control and I can see working file?

rowan
Region: New Zealand

Postby rowan » 06 Feb 2008 08:41

The only reason that you would not be able to make changes would be if the "This user can Make Changes" option is turned off for your username.

cec

Postby cec » 07 Feb 2008 00:08

Thanks for the reply Rowan; but nope; all the user can make changes options are ticked. :( I can make some changes but a lot that I need to be doing I can't. I am the main user on a Mac OX; is it possible to switch around then; make my machine the main user; the pc the client? I ask this as previously( when had demo) the pc couldn't read the file that was saved from the mac? Quite often it says you need to be in single user mode; well I can't be when I am the client; so maybe I should be the main user. ?
Thanks in advance.

rowan

Postby rowan » 07 Feb 2008 11:45

I'm unclear then on what you mean by "altering capabilities".

Perhaps you mean changing customer codes, opening periods and the like? These things require temporary single-user access and with a Gold server, only the server user can get temporary single-user access.

You can switch the registrations around using the method in this thread: http://cognito.co.nz/community/viewtopic.php?t=611

ecographics

Changing main user from PC to Mac but then need to read PC

Postby ecographics » 19 Sep 2009 17:26

Can we change Moneyworks Gold from being the main user from (it is currently on) PC to Mac? And then will the PC be able to then be a client user and have access fine?? Will the Mac be able to read the previous PC created Moneyworks file??

Thanks so much! :( :)
Separate issue, but somehow when the person 1st created our Moneyworks work file, it appears they created the financial year from Jan to Dec, but should be July to June here is Australia. I have be told by my book keeper it is unlikely that can be now altered?

rowan

Postby rowan » 20 Sep 2009 14:37

Yes; Yes; Yes, just make sure you put .mwd5 on the end of the name.

No there is no practical way to change the financial year. Best bet is to start a new file for July (Save a Copy As: Clone)

ecographics

Thank you

Postby ecographics » 21 Sep 2009 10:44

Rowan thank you very much for your prompt reply. We are going to change it over this afternoon all going well (after keeping a client for 10 mins trying to print an invoice out while Moneyworks not responding again coming from PC to my mac). Hopefully will transfer smoothly :lol: Hopefully you won't see me back here.

Return to “Multi-user and Datacentre”