Modifying a Job Quote or Budget after the job is created

Discussion about using the MoneyWorks Job costing system.
Forum rules
This forum is not the official Cognito Software support channel for MoneyWorks. If you need help from Cognito, then please contact us (or your local regional support representative) directly using the contact information on the Support page of the web site.

Please try the search facility before posting a new topic to see if your topic has already been covered.

If you do post a new topic, it's a good idea to choose a Topic Subject that it a bit more informative than "Help!" or "A problem". If your topic is actually recognisable by people scanning the forum, you'll have a much better chance of getting a response. Thanks and have fun.
KODA100
Product: Gold
Region: USA

Modifying a Job Quote or Budget after the job is created

Post by KODA100 » 16 Mar 2012 13:31

Is it possible to modify a job's quote or budget or the line items associated with it after the job has been created?

I use Gold; I do mostly time billing but with reimbursement for costs. I create an estimate for a project, convert it into a job, then add time entries to that. But sometimes things change -- for example, a client decides not to do an originally budgeted portion of the work and to add instead other items that were not originally budgeted. So I tell them what's the difference in overall budget that the new work would entail, and then I would like to modify the job to show those changes. But I can't seem to edit any of the items from the job budget page; and in the timesheets I can't add anything that was not on the budget to begin with because I get an error message that the product code is missing from the job.

My most pressing need: I did a quote, then created a job from it. I started logging time to it. But then I realized that I had entered in the quote the same item twice, i.e. instead of having a budget/quote line for "item 1" and a budget/quote line for "item 2" I had "item 1" twice. When I do reports or attempt an invoice it combines the two "item 1" lines into a single entry, so I can't distinguish the different parts of the work. I haven't entered any time in the second "item 1" yet because that's when I figured out that Item 2 was missing; but i do have entries in the other items of the job, so I don't want to have to delete the job and start again. Is there a way I can take out that "item 1" line and replace it with an "item 2" line?

It doesn't seem possible that one can't alter a job once it's started; is it?

charleshorse
Product: Datacentre
Region: New Zealand

Re: Modifying a Job Quote or Budget after the job is created

Post by charleshorse » 20 Mar 2012 09:43

You can add, modify and delete job budget information to your heart's content.

Just go into the Show>Job Sheet Items and click on the Budgets tab (which is where all the job budget information is kept). Then modify or delete these items, or add new ones. Note that this does not impact upon the original quote (which you can still edit as well, but that won't update the job budgets).

janiewong
Product: Gold
Region: UK

Re: Modifying a Job Quote or Budget after the job is created

Post by janiewong » 24 Apr 2012 20:15

KODA100 wrote:Is it possible to modify a job's quote or budget or the line items associated with it after the job has been created?

I use Gold; I do mostly time billing but with reimbursement for costs. I create an estimate for a project, convert it into a job, then add time entries to that. But sometimes things change -- for example, a client decides not to do an originally budgeted portion of the work and to add instead other items that were not originally budgeted. So I tell them what's the difference in overall budget that the new work would entail, and then I would like to modify the job to show those changes. But I can't seem to edit any of the items from the job budget page; and in the timesheets I can't add anything that was not on the budget to begin with because I get an error message that the product code is missing from the job.

My most pressing need: I did a quote, then created a job from it. I started logging time to it. But then I realized that I had entered in the quote the same item twice, i.e. instead of having a budget/quote line for "item 1" and a budget/quote line for "item 2" I had "item 1" twice. When I do reports or attempt an invoice it combines the two "item 1" lines into a single entry, so I can't distinguish the different parts of the work. I haven't entered any time in the second "item 1" yet because that's when I figured out that Item 2 was missing; but i do have entries in the other items of the job, so I don't want to have to delete the job and start again. Is there a way I can take out that "item 1" line and replace it with an "item 2" line?

It doesn't seem possible that one can't alter a job once it's started; is it?